Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Costa Rica Report#1

Time is scarce, and these Spanish keyboards give me fits, so this will be a bit rough. I will edit and add photos when I get back to Belize.

The flight from Belize to CR was easy. Only hassle was in El Salvador where 3 immigration officials demanded GM's passport while we were waiting in the departure lounge. They found it hard to believe that we were traveling together. They kept asking me if there were a lot of hippies in Belize.

Arriving in San Jose we were met by Ivan of Stonetree Records and Ana from Papaya Music. Dropped off our bags at the hotel, a quick bite at a mexican restaurant, and then off to the Jazz Cafe to see the band GM is performing with on Saturday. Before we could even drink our first beer GM was on stage doing an improv song with the band. A sign of good things to come this week.

The Grandmaster doing local TV interview in San Jose

Tuesday was a full day with radio and TV interviews, and then a rehearsal with Amarillo, Amarillo Cian y Magenta in the afternoon. The band is a really good acid jazz combo and GM and them blend very well together. For a first rehearsal things went really well. The rehearsal room was very small so it was hard for me to shoot,but I did get a few good clips for the documentary.

The Grandmaster rehearses with Amarillo, Cian y Magenta


I'm working with a local soundman, Julio Molina. He's a very cool guy and a good soundrecordist. Julio is also an independent filmmaker and he has really gotten into this project. I can't afford to work with him every day, but we will work together 4 days this week so I am confident I will get some great stuff before the week is over.

The Grandmaster and Julio enjoy a coffee break

GM is doing well with everything so far. Yesterday wore him out a bit as he is not used to having to put in so much work,but he was a pro about everything. Over a few beers he admitted he was suffering from withdrawal, not having any weed for 24 hours. But that situation was resolved when one of the Papayas showed up at our room with some medicine for GM. A spliff and a few shots of my 12 year old Flor de Cana rum and he found his second wind. So I set up the camera and we did an interview about the day right there in our hotel room.

Today should be an easier day for GM as there is less on his schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home