Monday, January 23, 2006

my pressure

If you've seen the video for "Pressure" you know that much of the video takes place in the shower. This was inspired by one of the lines in the poem that talks about getting no pressure from the water company. This used to be a big problem in Belize City and all us could relate to that line. Fortunately things have improved in that regard over the past few years. Enough so that I guess the local water company, BWSL, has decided to make a TV commercial boasting about it's improved water pressure.

So they are shooting a commercial with The Grandmaster in what I am told will be a sort of parody of the music video I directed. Good on them for having fun with it, and kudos for supporting a local artist like The Grandmaster by hiring him to perform in their commercial.

But what's got my pressure up is that they won't allow me on the set of commercial to shoot anything for my documentary!! The excuse I got from the production company was that the client "did not want to mix up thier project with mine". Huh?

I mean why would they not want the added benefit of the publicity my documentary could bring them? After all it's a positive spot they are making and they should be proud that they are using a local artist to promote their company. I think what they are doing is cool and I want to be able to showcase it. But maybe they just assume, as too many Belizeans do, that anyone with a video camera is up to no good and is only looking to "scandalize" them.

I tried to speak to the PR person at the water company but she won't return my calls. That's another thing that is also too typical in Belize. Half the country it seems is perpetually "in a meeting".

1 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Tell GM to make a stand! Or give him a small video camera!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home