Saturday, January 21, 2006

Making the documentary

It's high time I got around to posting a blog on making this documentary. There is too much info to jam in one post so bear with me as I try to blurt it all out over a few different posts. Then hopefully I will get in the habit of updating the blog regularly.


Screen capture from music video "Pressure". Click on image to see the video.


I started filming this documentary (read synopsis below) in early 2004. I had just shot a video for "Pressure" the first single of The Grandmaster's debut CD, Just Like That, and getting to know Leroy Young a little better through the process of making his video I began to think that he would make a great subject for a documentary. So I started shooting a little bit here and there, when I had time and money.

Recently I received a small grant (US$4000) from Cinergia, a Central American filmmakers fund and that is allowing me to ramp up the production a lot. While this grant only makes up a small part of my overall budget, it will allow me to pay for a lot of production expenses. I am also hoping that having one funding source on board will open doors with others. I had applied to the Canada Arts Council last year and was turned down. I'm going to re-apply, especially in light of the fact that my documentary may take a very Canadian turn in this summer. More on that in a future post.

While I may have been frustrated that I was not able to shoot more early on, in retrospect being forced to go slow has been the best thing that could have happened. Spending almost two years to date working with The Grandmaster has allowed us to develop a personal relationship. He now trusts me and it shows in the interviews and access he is giving me.
Brent Toombs shooting a scene with The Grandmaster
Photo: Doug Murray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home